Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Mad about M.A.D.D.?

Many years ago, in a Galaxy Far Far Away; I was the Municipal Judge of the City of College Station, Texas.  My appointment to that post, was not without its critics and detractors.
 
One old high school friend opined that I was the best qualified for the post because I had committed virtually every Class C offense imaginable.  While that was something of an overstatement, I had happily and consistently violated all statutes regulating the consumption of alcohol.

Accordingly I did not regard under 21 years old possession/consumption of alcohol as a crime calling out to the Lord for vengeance.  I gave many of the defendants deferred adjudication (non conviction probation) and ordered them into Alcohol Education.

This leniency brought me into the crosshairs of the Mothers Against Drunk Driving (M.A.D.D.).  I believed I was unfairly and inaccurately targeted in the M.A.D.D. newsletter and in retrospect I did not handle it in a tactful and diplomatic manner.

When I talked to the local M.A.D.D. President (a very intelligent and articulate lady) she said “I don’t appreciate being called a liar!!”

I responded “Ma’am, if you will quit lying about me I’ll quit calling you a liar": and things went south from there.  I felt and still feel like I was right, but I should not have been so personally truculent.   The attached article from June 12, 1990 is a by product of that exchange.

No comments:

Post a Comment